1. Install WinDirStat (never really investigated to see if it is malware free. oh well) – to see where space is going away.
2. Run the usual disk cleanup.
3. http://everythingsysadmin.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/cleanup-winsxs-after-windows-7-sp1-install/ cleanup c:\windows\winxsx ( winsxs folder ) as it was too big. Used this command (run as admin):
DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded
The folder went down from 13.5GB to 8GB (Still a lot – i know). I think this is after SP1.
4. delete %temp% and any other temp directories.
5. run CCleaner to clean old crap (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) – too bad it tried to install a toolbar during install.
I bought the Asus M5A97 mobo because it has core unlocker functionality in Bios. Apparently AMD Phenom II X3 B73 has a hidden 4th core. However for me the Asus M5A97 (with latest updated bios as of 8/2012) didn’t unlock after changing the setting in bios for automatic core unlocking. Too bad.. missing the 4th core. Dont quiet understand if its the mobo or some processors can really not be unlocked.
Patriot Sector 5 memory worked fine.
Installing fedora 17 on Asus M5A97 was pretty flaky. Observations:
1. A hard disk with previous linux partitions seem’d to be problematic (maybe because of the swap partition). needed for remove all partition before using fedora 17 live CD.
2. Seems like fedora 17 doesnt quiet package Radeon HD 4350 video drivers (atleast not thru the fedora 17 64 bit network install KDE disk). However, the Fedora 17 64 bit live cd boot + install seems to remedy the issue. Finally got native resolution as well as dual monitor working on fedora 17 with that video card.